NOURISH with Nature
In part two of our Nourish series, Jacqui shares the benefits eating and using food for nourishing our winter skins. You’re welcome 😉 xx
- Skin Moisturizer – Honey, when mixed with eggs and some flour, is an effective skin moisturizer. Best of all, it is gently formulated, so it can be used by people with sensitive skin. Mix four tablespoons of honey with a couple of egg whites and a few tablespoons of flour, depending on your desired consistency. Stir the mixture until it thickens. When the mixture is ready, you can use it as a hand and body lotion or a moisturizing face mask, eliminating the effects of dry skin.
- Antiseptic – Honey happens to contain a good amount of the chemical. It only needs to be released by diluting the substance in water or body fluids. When applied on an open wound, the glucose, contained by honey, is diluted and gradually releases hydrogen peroxide. The substance facilitates your wound’s faster healing. Due to its viscous consistency, it also prevents wounds from sticking to the dressing and the appearance of scars.
- Acne Remover – Honey might be a gentle skin moisturizer but it is certainly tough on acne. With constant exposure to the bee fluid, pimples eventually wither and fade. Apply a small amount of honey on the pimply regions of your face. Cover them with adhesive bandages. Soon, your zit attack will be nothing more than a distant memory.
- Energy Booster – Why buy palpitation-inducing energy drinks when you already have honey? Mix honey with some water then drink the solution. Honey’s glucose content will be absorbed by the brain and in the bloodstream, reducing fatigue in the process. You’ll be healthy and quite happy just by consuming the simple solution.
- Immune System Booster – Health buffs are known to drink a teaspoon of honey daily, along with their morning vitamins. Though still not scientifically proven, the daily consumption of honey is said to strengthen your immune system. You can give it a shot, you’ve got nothing to lose anyway.
- Treatment for Sore Throat – Some people believe that honey is an even better treatment for coughs and colds than over-the-counter medicine. To create the sore throat-relieving serum, squeeze the juice from a lemon and mix it with some honey. Stir the mixture until both ingredients blend. Drink the solution. After a few moments, you will realize that your sore throat has been cured, or at least reduced. Just continue to make more rounds until you are finally free from colds.
TOP FIVE FOODS THAT NOURISH YOUR SKIN & BODY:
One of the most skin nourishing foods, whether you eat it or apply it to your skin. It also helps in flushing out unwanted toxins from your body. It’s these toxins that make your skin appear dull and lifeless. It helps your digestion and adds lustre to your skin.
Consuming beetroots is highly recommended for a glowing complexion. Beetroot is considered one of the most beneficial vegetables as far as your skin is concerned. It contains a myriad of beneficial minerals. It also contains vitamin A and E. It improves the health of the epidermis and acts as a cleanser for the body, leaving your skin rejuvenated.
- SWEET POTATO
This root vegetable contains high amount of vitamins and complex carbohydrates. Once you eat it, it releases sugar intermittently in your body. It also contains beta-carotene that is converted to vitamin A when digested. And this, in turn, oxygenates the skin naturally. We are all aware of the great benefit of vitamin A to the skin.
It contains Allicin, it’s this product that destroys the unwanted bacteria and viruses already present in the body and works to improve body’s immunity. Garlic with antioxidants is an invincible combination. They have that amazing ability to slow down the aging of skin.
It contains antitoxins and vitamins E and C. This fruit improves skin texture, tone, and also boosts skin vitality. It develops the moisture retention capacity of skin considerably.
Make Up and Hair: Jacqui Trinder- Accentuate Makeup and Hair – Using M.A.C.
Photography: Kate van Onselen
Model: Leigh Thompson – Models International